Fire has been a number one household danger ever since the day, many eons ago, when our prehistoric ancestors got the idea of bringing fire indoors for cave heating and dinosaur cooking. Since then, accidents and total household destructions have occurred due to misunderstanding, miscalculations, and mis-use of this powerful force of nature.
The following points are worth noting with regard to residential fires:
- Careless smoking is the leading cause of residential fire deaths.
- 25 percent of fires with child fatalities are caused by children playing with fire.
- Household fire hazards include overloaded electrical circuits, faulty wiring, unsafe appliances, wood and coal burning stoves and furnaces, electric and kerosene space heaters, unattended fireplaces, and the careless use of lighters and matches, especially by children.